Zigbee technology is a very Interesting topic nowadays. As you guys are already familiar with wireless networks, similarly ZigBee is also a wireless mesh networking standard for connecting sensors. In this article, We will Discuss about zigbee Technology. So, Friends Let’s Know about What is zigbee technology And how exactly it works With zigbee Modules and Sensors.
History of Zigbee Technology
Zigbee-style self-organizing ad-hoc digital radio networks were conceived in the 1990s. The IEEE 802.15.4-2003 Zigbee specification was established on December 14, 2004. The Zigbee Alliance announced the availability of Specification 1.0 on June 13, 2005, known as the Zigbee 2004 Specification.This technology is invented because when many installers realized that both WiFi and Bluetooth were going to be unsuitable for many applications.
What is Zigbee Technology?
ZigBee is the name of a specification for a suite of high-level communication protocols using small, low-power digital radios based on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard for wireless personal area networks (WPANs), such as wireless headphones connecting with cell phones via short-range radio. The technology is designed to be simpler and cheaper than other WPANs, such as Bluetooth. ZigBee is targeted at radio-frequency (RF) applications which require a low data rate, long battery life, and secure networking.
Fig: zigbee network
Types of Zigbee Device
There are 3 different types of ZigBee device:
- ZigBee coordinator (ZC): The most capable device, the coordinator forms the root of the network tree and might bridge to other networks. There is exactly one ZigBee coordinator in each network since it is the device that started the network originally. It is able to store information about the network.
- ZigBee Router (ZR): As well as running an application function a router can act as an intermediate router, passing data from other devices.
- ZigBee End Device (ZED): Contains just enough functionality to talk to its parent node (either the coordinator or a router); it cannot relay data from other devices. A ZED requires the least amount of memory and therefore can be less expensive to manufacture than a ZR or ZC.
How Zigbee works?
Zigbee system structure consists of three different types of devices such as Zigbee coordinator, Router, and End device. Every Zigbee network must comprise of at least one coordinator who acts as a root and bridge of the network.The number of routers, coordinators and end devices depends on the type of networks such as star, tree and mesh networks.A network coordinator is a device that sets up the network, is aware of all the nodes within its network, and manages both the information about each node as well as the information that is being transmitted/received within the network. Every ZigBee network must contain a network coordinator. Mesh networking allows for redundancy in node links so that if one node goes down, devices can find an alternative path to communicate with one another.
Characterstics of Zigbee Technology
- Low Power Consumption
- Low cost
- Low Data Rate
- High Transmission Range
- High Security
- Mesh Networking.
Comparisons between various standards
Advantages of Zigbee Technology
- Setting up the network is very simple and easy.
- It is easy to monitor and control home appliances from remote.
- It will take the place of existing Infrared technology based devices. This will save cost of battery replacement as zigbee uses lithium battery which lasts long.
- The network is scalable and it is easy to add/remote zigbee end device to the network.
- It does not have central controller and loads are distributed evenly across the network.
Disadvantages of Zigbee Technology
- It is not secure like wifi based secured system.
- The coverage is limited and hence can not be used as an outdoor wireless communication system.
- Replacement cost will be high when any problem occurs in ZigBee compliant home appliances.
- Like other wireless systems, ZigBee based communication is prone to attack from unauthorized people.
Applications of Zigbee Technology
- Home Automation/Industrial Automation
- Wireless sensor networks
- Industrial control
- Medical data collection
- Smoke alarms and many more…
Watch Now : How to make a Credit Card Size Computer
I hope this information about Zigbee Technology was quite helpful to you guys.. In upcoming Tutorial, I will be back with some new exciting Projects, and we will discuss some useful development topics. Here if you want to recommend that what I should write in upcoming Tutorial, then please leave your comments. And if you need any help or query, please don’t hesitate to discuss with me. Thank You 🙂
This is Enamul Hassan, an Electrical and Electronics Engineer. I love discovering new things. I share my knowledge in this blog.