Introduction to Li-Fi
Li-Fi stands for Light Fidelity which refers to 5G Visible Light Communication systems using light-emitting diodes as a medium to high-speed communication in a similar manner as Wi-Fi. In the days where internet has become a vital demand, people are in a search for Wi-Fi hotspots. Li-Fi or New Life of data communication is a better alternative to Wi-Fi in wireless communication. This paper proposes a survey on Li-Fi Technology. Light Fidelity (Li-Fi ) is a bidirectional, high speed and fully networked wireless communication technology similar to Wi-Fi. The term was coined by Harald Haas and is a form of visible light communication and a subset of optical wireless communications (OWC) and could be a complement to RF communication (Wi-Fi or Cellular network), or even a replacement in contexts of data broadcasting.
How Li-Fi works?
- Li-Fi is typically implemented using white LED light bulbs at the downlink transmitter. These devices are normally used for illumination only by applying a constant current. However, by fast and subtle variations of the current, the optical output can be made to vary at extremely high speed.
- This very property of optical current is used in Li-Fi setup. The operational procedure is very simple, if the LED is on, you transmit a digital 1, if it‘s off you transmit a 0.
- The LEDs can be switched on and off very quickly, which gives nice opportunities for transmitting data.
- Hence all that is required is some LEDs and a controller that code data into those LEDs. All one has to do is to vary the rate at which the LED‘s flicker depending upon the data we want to encode.
Li-Fi Vs Wi-Fi
Applications or Advantages of Li-Fi Technology
a) Efficiency: consumption of Energy can be minimised by using of LED illumination which are already available in the home, offices and Mall etc. for lighting purpose. Hence the transmission of data requiring negligible additional power, which makes it very efficient in terms of costs as well as energy.
b) High speed: Combination of low interference, high bandwidths and high-intensity output, help Li-Fi provide high data rates i.e. 1 Gbps or even beyond.
c) Availability: Availability is not an issue as light sources are present everywhere. Wherever there is a light source, there can be Internet. Light bulbs are present everywhere – in homes, offices, shops, malls and even planes, which can be used as a medium for the data transmission.
d) Cheaper: Li-Fi not only requires fewer components for its working, but also uses only a negligible additional power for the data transmission.
e) Security: One main advantage of Li-Fi is security. Since light cannot pass through opaque structures, Li-Fi internet is available only to the users within a confined area and cannot be intercepted and misused, outside the area under operation.
Future & scope of Li-Fi Technology
Li-Fi technology has a great scope in future. The extensive growth in the use of LEDs for illumination indeed provides the opportunity to integrate the technology into a plethora of environments and applications—
- Education system
- Medical application
- Cheaper Internet in Aircraft
- Underwater application
- Traffic management,and many more…
for Presentation or Project Report